Christ Church

Welcome to Christ Church.


Christ Church is the heart of the community here in Prestatyn. From Christenings to weddings and the many services, gatherings and events we hold here, our church welcomes you. There is a source of beauty and sense of calm, even when all the rest of the world is so full of chaos, walking in to Christ Church, you are welcomed with open arms.

Our Services on Sundays and Thursdays are for everyone, we welcome and encourage you to join us. Our Thursday services tend to be a bit quieter and more personal. We have a choir and two of the best organists in the Prestatyn and Rhyl Area. Mr. Huw Ellis-Williams and Mr. Richard Ablitt.

When we're not holding services, we have a hall at the end of the church, open for tea and coffee, even just to sit down and chat, meet faces old and new.

Christ Church is open daily for prayer and quiet meditation. We invite you - whether you're a member of our churches or visitor alike - to "come on in, light a candle, and say a prayer." You  might be lucky enough to find one of our organists rehearsing now and again.

Here is where you will find details of our weekly services. If you are new to the area, we warmly invite you to COME & JOIN US. You can learn more about our churches from the Prestatyn Parish Profile. You may also find out more from our recent Annual Report 2020

Christ Church is located in Prestatyn High Street, Prestatyn, LL19 9BN. 

At the back of Christ Church is our Community Hall, which was built in 1973. It comprises of a large hall with 3 side rooms, 3 storage rooms, kitchen and a newly refurbished toilet facilities. This hall is used regularly by church organisations and local groups for various functions and is available to hire through the Church Office. Alongside the hall is a free car park owned by the Church in Wales.

In 2011, a new and beautiful 3 manual digital church organ was installed, you can read about it here.
___________________________________________

Sunday Worship...

8.00am Holy Communion (Christ Church)
9.30am Cymun Bendigaid [Yr Ail Sul] (Eglwys y Plwyf)
10.45am Holy Communion (Christ Church)
12.30pm Holy Baptism [by appointment with the Vicar] (Christ Church)


Each Thursday... 

10.00am Holy Communion (Christ Church) 
Followed by Morning Coffee. 
_________________________________________________

Vicar...
Revd. David Ash.

Retired Clergy Support...
Revd. John Evans
Revd. Nita Edwards

Readers...
Tim Carter,

Mission Area Representatives...
Geraldine Sanders,
Sue England. (substitute)

Prestatyn Christ Church Committee Team...
David Ash (Vicar)
Ffrangcon Roberts (Chair)
Peter Scorey (Treasurer)
Chris Sanders (Finance Team)
Geraldine Sanders (MA & Diocesan Rep) (Finance Team)
Sue England (Finance Team)
Jean Demack (Safeguarding Officer)
Frank Cook
Josie Cook
Sandra Roberts
Simon Weaver
Jenny Bryne
Lewis Alexander
Tom Williams

Warden Team...
Sue England,
Geraldine Sanders,
Chris Sanders,
Ffrangcon Roberts,
John Northam,
Dennis Charnock.

Organist & Choirmaster...
Mr Huw Ellis-Williams.

Archivist...
Sandra Roberts 


Wheelchair Access to church and community hall by installed ramps,
Hearing Loop System installed by Richard King Audio Systems.
_______________________________________________________

DING DONG DING DONG... DING DONG DONG DING!

THE BELLS?

The six bells of Christ Church, Prestatyn, were hung during 2004 by Eayre and Smith of Derby and were dedicated by the Lord Bishop of St Asaph and the Right Rev'd John Davies on Sunday 21 December 2004. They were paid for by donations and also by families in memory of a loved one. A brand new ringing team was coached and there are now twelve regular ringers.

Photo showing one of the installed church bells to bell tower above entrance.


Practice Night is usually Tuesdays at 7.00p.m.

Treble: 196lbs - 1cwt 3 qtr 0lbs
2: 216lbs - 1 - 3 - 20
3: 312lbs - 2 - 3 - 4
4: 357lbs - 3 - 0 - 21
5: 466lbs - 4 - 0 - 18
Tenor: 619lbs - 5 - 2 - 3 

Bellringers' Secretary:
Mr Harry Cranford, 16 Clayton Drive, Prestatyn LL19 9RW
Telephone 01745 887896 

Tower Captain 
Mr Ffrangcon Roberts, 6 Mostyn Avenue, Prestatyn LL19 9NF
Telephone: 01745 888905. 

A very warm welcome is extended to visiting teams of ringers.

_______________________________________________________

The History Of Christ Church...



Prestatyn is thought to be the oldest resort along the North Wales coast. Tourism began with the building of the Chester to Holyhead railway line in 1848. During the 1800s, people flocked to this resort to "Sea Bathe", lured by the heady descriptions of the air being like wine and honey, and the abundant sunshine being ideal for arthritis and nervous disorders.

The Town Centre is nestled between magnificent sandy beaches and a spectacular hillside, where mountain air meets salty sea breezes. Uniquely sited with its "shield" of hills and mountains, Prestatyn boasts a distinctly favourable climate all of its own. It is the perfect setting for a traditional holiday, or well-earned break.

In fact, the name Prestatyn can be traced back many centuries, but the town is essentially a creation of the 19th Century. In 1891, the population was 585, but by 1955 this had increased ten-fold. The Parish of Prestatyn was formed in 1860 by a separation from the older neighbouring Parishes of Meliden and Llanasa, and three years later, at Whitsun, on 27 May 1863, Christ Church, the Parish Church was consecrated. 

The original boundaries were extended in 1937 as a consequence of the growth of the town. Annual Vestry records of the time refer to the need for a daughter church in the Northwest ward. In 1939 an army camp was established in the town and for a number of years the camp chapel was known as the Mission Church, continuing as such until 1965. A new church was needed to replace the older building which was by then needed for other purposes. The Church of the Holy Spirit was built on nearby land in 1966. 

From the outset, Services had been held in English and in Welsh to meet the needs of the congregation. For many years there was a Welsh congregation as large as the English one, but although the Parish remains bi-lingual, the Welsh congregation has, alas, steadily declined in recent years. 

Our website aims to tell you all about the community of Christian Believers here in Prestatyn. We offer worship for all the family... 



The original building, was designed by T H Wyatt of London and built by Chesters & Sons of Everton at a cost of £1,374, plus a further £560 for the neighbouring vicarage and ancillary items. It included the present nave and entrance porch with its steeple, together with a much smaller chancel, and a north aisle with a vestry at the end.

Until the early part of the 20* Century the entrance to the church was by means of a stepped pathway from the lych-gate. Just inside the church was the font, but this was later moved to the south aisle to make way for the churchwarden s pew. The short north aisle was separated from the nave by two arches supported by round pillars, and pews were arranged facing the nave so that the former stone pulpit on the south side could be seen. A chancel arch, much lower than the present one, was beautifully decorated with the words:

"Cogoniant yn goruchaf I Dduw ac ar y ddaear tangneffed I ddynion ewylas da."
(Glory to Cod in the highest and on earth peace, goodwill towards men) 

There have been three major extensions to the original building. In 1905 the wall on the south side of the nave was replaced by the present arches and the south aisle was added at a cost of £1453. To mark this, a memorial stone was laid on Ascension Day, 1st June 1905 by WJP Storey JP, High Sherriff of Flintshire. Shortly afterwards in 1907 a pipe organ, built by Messrs Abbot & Smith of Leeds was installed. 

In 1910, the north aisle was extended to its present length and a small chapel created at the east end, as a memorial to the then late Vicar, the Rev'd O J Davies. 

The third and largest alteration came in 1926 when the nave was extended to the east and a new chancel was built. The nave roof was re-slated and the original plaster ceiling was removed to show the wooden roof that can be seen today. The Lady Chapel was also created at this time. New vestries for clergy and choir were added on the north side of the chancel and a new oak pulpit replaced the old stone pulpit. The total cost of this work came to £7000. As a result of all of these changes, the seating capacity of the church was increased to 350. All the work was completed in 1927, with the keystone of the new chancel being placed in position on Christmas Eve, 1926. 

A Service of Re-Consecration took place on 1st July 1927 when the preacher was Dr. A C Edwards, first Archbishop of Wales. 


Some details from the Register of Listed Buildings... Yes... It's Official.



History:

In 1860 parts of Meliden and Llanasa parishes were severed to form the new parish of Prestatyn and Nant, and the first phase of the church of the new parish was completed to the design of T H Wyatt in 1863. The population of Prestatyn was then only about 500 but expected to rise rapidly, so the original design was for the nave, tower and spire, and two adjacent bays of the north aisle. The contractor was T W Chester of Liverpool and the cost was £1374. The space which was the chancel of this phase is now the eastern part of the nave, and the original east window now survives relocated as the Lady Chapel east window.

In the first major addition in 1905, by which time the parish population was 1500, the south aisle was built, and in 1910 the north aisle was extended to its present length, to the design of Protheroe and Phillpott of Cheltenham.

The completion of the eastern part of the church came in 1927, when the population had reached 6000; this included the chancel, the lady chapel and the vestry and a new organ chamber. This work was to the design of L W Barnard of Cheltenham and the cost was about £7000.



Exterior

A church in local light-grey rock-faced limestone standing on elevated ground to the east of Prestatyn High Street, entered at the north side beneath a heavily buttressed broach-spired tower which dominates the architectural composition. The different architects involved have used different Gothic styles. Slate roofs throughout in graded courses, tile ridges, coped gables apart from the west gable of the Lady chapel. The door, window and other dressings of all phases are in a yellowish freestone. The earliest masonry is distinguished by the use of a mortar with coarse black grit.


In the earlier part of the church, the prominent west elevation is an Early English composition with paired lancets at west with roundels above, a small rose window above with dog-toothed ornament, and a central west buttress. A similar but smaller pair of lancets with roundel exists at the north side, west of the tower. The windows of the north aisle are paired lancets. The north aisle was completed in similar style, but the south aisle has triple Tudor flat-headed windows and a Tudor west door.

In the later part of the church designed in a free version of Perpendicular, the east window is of five cusped lights under a four-centred arch with a thin label mould; the chancel south window and the high window of the transept are of three lights with tracery and simpler label moulds. Other windows are square headed. The north transept door is coupled to single lights at side under a common label mould. The Lady Chapel east window is of Early English style, relocated from the first phase construction.

The spire is another Early English composition, octagonal, with its arrisses, base course, three bands and a small clock gable to the north picked out in freestone. Three belfry openings as paired trefoil headed lights with quatrefoils above in plate tracery. Generous tower buttresses with offsets, stair turret to north west, arched main entrance to north and paired windows to west, single lights above to west and north; five string courses.


Interior



The nave is entered at the north side by a pointed door within a low-pointed arch; a side door from the porch leads to the north aisle. The character of the interior is set by the breadth and lightness of both the nave and chancel and the unusual height and width of the chancel arch. The nave is of six bays with arch braced collar-beam trusses incorporating wall posts which start some distance below the wallplate level and mock ashlaring. The aisle arcades have equilateral pointed arches in two orders, chamfered, on hexagonal columns (and one round column from the original north aisle, supporting the two slightly lower arches of the first phase of construction under Wyatt). The aisle roofs are lean-to with a single purlin. The nave and aisle floors are part quarry tiles, part wood blocks. Open pews, the majority original, those at east added following construction of the later chancel. The pulpit, at left, is octagonal in Gothic style, the gift of the Welsh congregation in 1925. Three steps up to the chancel.

The chancel has a broad pointed and four-centred barrel ceiling with a side vault over the organ, with thin ribs and gilded bosses. The floor is of black and white tiles. The altar is in Gothic style with open miniature tracery. Three-panel reredos with the centre panel framing the altar cross. Lower panelling each side (donated 1951) and curtains. Communion rails and choir pews in simple Gothic style.

The vestry is at north and has a wood-block floor and a flat boarded ceiling. Two commemorative stones in the vestry record the building work of 1905 and 1927. The Lady Chapel to the south of the chancel is one step above the nave and aisle floor and is entered under a slightly pointed segmental arch. It has a pointed barrel ceiling, a wood block floor and a brass communion rail.



The east window depicts the Ascension and commemorates the completion of the church. The east window of the Lady Chapel is in three lights with the Good Shepherd in the centre light; this was the glazing of the original east window and is a memorial to six choirboys drowned in 1868, whose graves are adjacent to the south of the church. South window to G H Lees [1900], on theme of the Little Children. Other stained glass windows mid-C20. Boards to the left of the door to the porch list the vicars and the churchwardens from 1861, and a brass plate to the right gives the names of the fallen in the 1914-18 war.

The organ was built by Abbot and Smith of Leeds and installed in 1907. It now stands to the north of the chancel, its position having been altered and improved. The font is square with sunk panels on each face and a five-column support.

_______________________________________________________


Christ Church Photo Gallery










The Organ, The Organist & Those noisy things called BELLS!





Going Back... Christ Church before our time...













This is just a little history of our beautiful stained glass windows. Each window is a unique story and dedication, so we would like to share this with you, rather than being obscured through the mists of time. This is part of our church history.



Archive Description: Christ Church - Built in 1863 by T.H. Wyatt and enlarged in 1905 by Prothero & Phillott with the addition of the south aisle and the northern arcade adapted to match the new one. Chancel of 1926 by L.W. Barnard.



All information including Images - © University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. 

Information imported from deprecated website



Christ Church's Stained Glass Windows. A little history...



"The Ascension” 

Date: 1935.

Description: Five-light window with Christ ascending in the sky with angels, the eleven disciples and Mary beneath, situated ouside of a walled town.

Firm / studio: Shrigley & Hunt.

Location: East wall of the chancel.

Further Information: Signed by the firm. Text: 'By thy Glorious Resurrection & Ascension Good Lord Deliver us.’ Given by various donors in memory of members of the Lyne family, Meredith Jones Hughes (vicar of the parish from 1908-1932) and by parishioners 'for the completion of this church.’





"Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ” 

Date: 1868

Description: Three-light window. Central figure of Christ holding a lamb and shepherd's staff, two scenes with Christ and children, Christ disputing with the Doctors of the Law in the temple, and Christ in a boat calming the storm.

Firm / studio: Lavers & Barraud.

Location: East wall of south aisle chapel (Lady Chapel).

Further Information: The glass was moved from the chancel to its present position when the south aisle was built in 1905. There were originally several stained glass windows in the chancel. One of the original chancel windows was given by the parents of Samuel and George Gilderoy in memory of six young choristers who were drowned in 1868. Another window was given in memory of the choristers by public subscription. The tragedy is reflected in the imagery of the calming of the storm and the scenes with children. A window in the south wall of the original chancel depicted the Good Shepherd, and was given in memory of Elizabeth Hunt in December 1867 (information kindly provided by Sue Christou from the church archives and Natalia McKenzie).





"Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers”

Date: 1927.

Description: Three-light window.

Firm / studio: Burlison & Grylls.

Location: South wall of the south aisle chapel (Lady Chapel).

Further Information: Given in memory of George Hugh Lees by his parents Joseph and Elizabeth Banks. 'Born to Earth 6th October 1892. Born to Eternal life 2nd November 1900’.




"The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi"

Date: 1942.

Description: Three-light window with Mary, Joseph and the Christ child in the centre light, with three shepherds at the left and three Magi at the right with gifts.

Firm / studio: Shrigley & Hunt.

Location: South wall of the south aisle.

Further Information: Signed by the firm. Given in memory of Susan Astin (died 1942) by her husband Tom Astin.





"Presentation of Christ in the Temple and Christ with the Doctors of the Law“

Date: 1931, 1948 and 1952.

Description: Three-light window composed of two or three separate commissions by two makers. The left and right-hand lights depict Mary and Joseph presenting Christ to Simeon in the temple (left) and Christ among the doctors of the law in Jerusalem (right). The centre light depicts an unnamed tonsured saint teaching a boy, holding a book with the words 'Dominus illuminatio mea' ('the Lord is my light' from Psalm 27:1).

Firm / studio: Shrigley & Hunt.

Firm / studio: G. Maile & Son.

Location: South wall of the south aisle.

Further Information: The central light was given inmemory of Revd H.E. Mocatta (died 1931) by family, past and present pupils and staff of Clive House School, where he was headmaster. This window is attributable to G. Maile & Son. The right and left-hand lights are by Shrigley and Hunt, and their signature is found on the left-hand light, which was given in memory of Mary Hickson (died 1921) and her daughter Ethel (died 1940) by a daughter of Mary Hickson. Recorded as design no. 5600, obviously suggestive of an 'off the shelf' design. The inscription at the foot of the right-hand light is in Welsh, commemorating Sarah Susannah Jones (died 1946), her brother Frances Edward Jones (died 1946) and her sister Jane Jones (died 1949). Additional information kindly provided by Sue Christou from the church archives.





"The Calling of St Matthew” 

Date: 1960.

Description: Three-light window. Christ appears to Mathew who is seated at a writing desk. A seascape is shown in the background.

Firm / studio: Goddard & Gibbs.

Designer: Maud Francis Eyston Sumner.

Location: South wall of the south aisle.

Further Information: Given in 1960 in memory of Henry Gibson Johnson (died 1959) by his sister Elizabeth Helen Johnson. He had been churchwarden from 1939 until his death (information kindly provided by Sue Christou from the church archives). The close similarity in style suggests that the window was also made by Goddard and Gibbs to the design of Maud Sumner. The scene could illustrate either the calling of Matthew or Christ appearing to him as he writes his gospel.





"Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ with Children” 

Date: 1935 and about 1987.

Description: Three-light window composed of two or three separate commissions by different makers. The left-hand light shows Christ with a shepherd's staff and holding a lamb, with the text 'Feed my lambs' (John 21:15). The right-hand light is later and attempts to mimic the style of the left-hand light, depicting Christ with three children and the text 'Suffer little children to come unto me' (Luke 18:16). The centre light depicts a red dragon on a blue shield amid oak leaves.

Location: South wall of the south aisle.

Further Information: The left-hand light was erected in 1935 in memory of W.P. Richardson (died 1933), headmaster of St Chad's School. The right-hand light is dedicated to his successor Duncan N. Payne (died 1986). The inscription on the central light reads: 'To commemorate the close association of St Chad's School with this church 1905-1975’.






"The Healing of Blind Bartimaeus” 

Date: 1962.

Description: Three-light window. Christ with Bartimaeus in the central light amid a small crowd, one of whom holds Bartimaeus' arm.

Firm / studio: Goddard & Gibbs.

Designer: Maud Francis Eyston Sumner.

Location: South wall of the south aisle.

Further Information: Given in memory of John Gray by his children. Information kindly provided by Sue Christou from the church archives.





"The Virgin Mary and St Elizabeth” 

Date: 1933.

Description: Three-light window with standing figures in the outer lights. A representation of the dove of the Holy Spirit and Gabriel at the centre with the archangel's greeting: 'Blessed art thou among women' (Luke 1: 28), which is echoed by Elizabeth in Luke 1:42.

Firm / studio: J. Wippell & Co. Ltd.

Location: South wall of the south aisle.

Further Information: The central light is signed by the firm. In common with other windows in the south aisle, the window seems to represent more than one commission. The style of painting for the figure of Elizabeth differs to that of Mary and Gabriel, as does the inscription below. The right-hand light is therefore probably earlier than 1933, and not necessarily by Wippell & Co. Given in memory of Harriett Geeson (died 4 March 1933) and E.E.M. Dunne (died 27 July 1924). The central light carries the text: 'They served their generation by the will of God.’ Additional information kindly provided by Sue Christou from the church archives.





"The Eucharist” 

Date: 1971.

Description: Two-light window. Two standing figures of Christ with bread and with wine. Upper roundel with the chalice and host.

Firm / studio: Celtic Studios.

Location: North wall, west end of the nave.

Further Information: Texts: 'This is my body which is given for you' (Luke 22: 19); 'This is my blood of the New Covenant' (Matthew 26:28, Mark 14:24); (roundel) 'Come unto me all ye that are heavy laden' (Matthew 11:28). Given by two friends, James Ellis Evans and Reginald Townsend Smith in memory of their parents.





"Christ Healing the Sick” 

Date: 1973.

Description: Two-light window with two healings: in the left-hand light Christ with the man at the pool of Bethesda, and in the right-hand light Christ healing the woman with an issue of blood.

Firm / studio: Celtic Studios.

Location: North wall of the north aisle.

Further Information: Given in memory of William Bromley Rogers (died 1955) and Hilda Rogers (died 1970) by their children.





"The Good Samaritan” 

Date: 1976.

Description: Two-light window. The Samaritan tends the wounded traveller in the right-hand light, looking back to the other two passers-by in the left-hand light who proceed on their journeys in a landscape.

Firm / studio: G. Maile & Son.

Location: North wall of the north aisle.

Further Information: Signed with the mark of the firm. Given in memory of William Cyril Moseley (died 1974) and his wife Muriel Irene (died 1976).